Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Cinderella

She wore a black, one-shoulder formal with silver sequins and bugle beads at the waist and on the back. Her hair was slicked into a side pony tail and her make-up was flawless. On her wrist was a corsage of white orchids and on her feet were silver sequined.....Chuck Taylor high tops.
Yep, that's my princess, off to the junior prom in all her glory. I'm not exactly raising an Audrey Hepburn here, no matter how hard I try. She is determined to be her own self.

I can't say I'm not pleased. After all, being born with no left brain cells (see previous post) made me a bit unique in my own family unit. When I started having children, I knew that I did not want cookie cutter kids and since I am definitely NOT a soccer mom, what else would they be but their own little individual selves. So, instead of mom, dad, 2.3 kids and a dog, we've had:

Mom, Dad, 3 kids (all girls), a Yorkie named Killer, a Rottweiler named Clio Aimee Elmira, various cats (all called Cat), a hamster named Bob, a bird named Igor, fish, hermit crabs, snails, turtles and worms. We are now down to a lab-bulldog mix named Max, a cat my husband affectionately calls Crack, and the last remaining daughter at home. Cinderella of the Chuck Taylors. 

Does God just shake his head at my antics the way I do at my children? Does he grin in secret pride at my small social rebellions? I'm pretty sure he's okay with my uniqueness since he created me that way.

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart 
                                                                                                            - Jeremiah 1:5 (NIV)

I'm glad my children are comfortable enough in their own skin to be themselves, for they know they were made in the image of their Creator. Unique, individual, incomparable. Chuck Taylors and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment